slide show

Monday, December 14, 2009

Tommy & Maria

Trying to keep up with my blog posts, in spite of the holiday hustle! I have been churning out oodles of work over the past several months, and now I'm finally getting it all watermarked for posting. I thought I would share some of my fav's from Tommy & Maria's wedding. They were married on June 6th, 2009 at St. Mary's in Baltimore, Md.

Maria is a dancer with the Gilded Lily Burlesque Troupe which performs all around Baltimore and DC. I absolutely love the revival that's been going on the past couple of years - first pin up, then burlesque! I knew with Maria's being a dancer and a pin up model that she would be a dream bride to shoot, especially in that gorgeous Maggie Sottero gown.

Following are some of my fav's of the day. You can view a more complete album with tons of pictures here.

Maria got ready for her big day at her brother's house, which had a dock out back. Perfect for some bridal portraits!
Thought you might get a kick out of seeing the before and after! Click on the image to see it larger. The yellow dock was a risk, I'm not sure what made me think yellow. I suppose my college color theory class reared it's head, lol. (blue sky? green water? needs yellow!) I do wish I could see her other arm, but besides that I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I did A LOT of touch up work to this image, as you can see. I also did that illustration technique to it, then reduced the opacity to around 50% before I popped the color(s). Notice the shack on the opposite shore edited out, as well as the lamp post behind her. (the top of the lamp is RIGHT by her hand and where her veil bunches - boy was THAT hard!) I spent about 4-5 hours on this piece.

Some aged photo technique to one of Serena's lovely shots.

Taken right outside the church, this was a quick shot that was actually super blown out. I loved the sweet expression on her face so much though that I had to go in and rescue it. It doesn't always work, but with this image I thought it came out rather well. :)

Outstanding detail balcony shot by Nelz.

Not quite sure why I love this bridesmaid entry shot so much, but I just do. :) Maybe it's the cross processing, I've become quite addicted to that effect lately.

After the ceremony it was off to the reception and couple's portraits! Maria gave me plenty of time and as a result, received tons of great bridal and couple's portraits. One thing I am always telling potential bride's is that it takes time to get great photos. If you're rushed and harried, it's going to show in the final images. Even professional models take around 10 minutes to warm up in front of the camera and get used to the photographer. And they aren't having the biggest day of their life! (and still reeling from the long months of planning it, lol) You just got married! Give yourselves some time to unwind, canoodle with each other, and enjoy the photography experience. You'll be glad you did! Speaking for me and my team and how we shoot, I usually ask for at least 45 minutes for couple's portraits.

After playing in the vineyard, we found other nooks where the light was just right. (especially after being digitally enhanced. *wink, wink*) I spent about 3-3 1/2 hours on this piece.

Below is a detail shot of the reception location, Linganore Vineyard. The winery sits on 230 acres of gorgeous countryside in Mt. Airy, Maryland. Shot by Nelz and color-junkie-ized by yours truly. ;)

Some of the pictures of the kids turned out to be my favorites. Flower girl Payton and ring bearer Johnathan were connected at the hip all day, they were so cute!

Just as the sun was going down and pouring light through the french doors, Serena and Nelz grabbed the bride for a few more beautiful portraits while I took care of some bridal party pictures outside. What a photo opp! You nailed it ladies! :D

I caught this next shot just as I came in.

Nelz shows Maria some in-camera shots

Maria & Tommy's reception was a blast!

Obligatory myspace wedding guest picture? lol

Awwwwww!

And just in case you doubt the value of hand editing even the reception pics, check out the before and after below:
Hello, my name is Ivy and I'm a color-a-holic. ;p

And of course, no wedding is complete without a stuffed chicken as a hat:

Or a rowdy game of stuffed-chicken volleyball after dinner to work off those extra wedding cake calories! (told you it was a fun party ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment


Blog Archive

Have a Facebook account? Click here to follow my blog!

Followers